Sunday, January 3, 2010

Time to Catch Up!

Hello & Happy New Year! I've been gone for a while but I promise you that I haven't been up to no good. In fact, I've been cooking quite a bit. This in itself is a revelation. With that being said, I thought I'd share some of my latest cooking experiments, if you will. ;)

Thanksgiving Turkey: The "Bacon Bird"
For Thanksgiving, I was in charge of cooking the turkey for my family and I could not be more excited about trying a recipe that received much chatter in the Crossfit world. So...I set off to make a more flavorful, moist turkey.
The first thing I did was NOT set the turkey on a roasting rack like the recipe said. Instead, I set my 12-14# turkey in the pan and started wrapping that bad boy with bacon. I used one 12 oz. package of the Oscar Meyer Center Cut Thick Sliced Bacon. I chose to weave some bacon over and under the skin, while other pieces were simply laid onto of the skin and held in place with wooden toothpicks. *Note to reader* Unbeknownst to me, I laid the turkey in the pan upside down so the breasts were constantly kept moist in the juice at the bottom of the pan. What a lucky mistake. :) Also, my turkey cooked for approximately 4 1/2 hours and I basted it every hour for the last 3 hours that it cooked. In addition to this, I cooked the turkey uncovered in the oven for 3 hours and then covered it the last hour.
Results: The turkey was good. I'm not going to say it was the best thing I've ever eaten, because it wasn't. But...I will definitely be giving this bird another shot. And for your viewing pleasure, I've got some pictures.

Before...
During...

No comments:

Post a Comment